This two-story existing residence was built in the 1950’s on a lot with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay. As with many homes of this era, the rooms are boxy with 8’ high ceilings throughout.
The solution involved relocating the kitchen to a more prominent location and opening it up to the living and dining areas. To do this, the walls to the lower level stairwell were dissolved to allow uninterrupted views between the kitchen and dining areas. Other Interior walls were also removed and replaced with “cabinetry.” A master suite was developed by reconfiguring closets and bathrooms. A trellis and new glass door with sidelights were added to replace a nondescript front entry.